View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3142694)   #3
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
That's not really a sportscar/endurance racing fans' mentality. It prevents you from opening up to appreciate everything else.
OK fine, 7 cars that matter then. The 3 factory P1s and the GTE Pro cars.

Modern Era P2- AM drivers in cost capped cars all regulated to perform very similarly don't really capture the imagination. If you've seen them in person you know that they look very similar. For the first time in my life I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between the open cockpit P2s if I didn't already know their liveries. Sure it's good racing and great for gentlemen and field filling but ehhh.

GTE-AM- ehhh at least they look and sound nice. But once again AM drivers competing in a separate class screams participation ribbon to me. I get that they've always been a part of sports car racing and I get that they're necessary. Not against them ebing there and their cars are cool but it doesn't have me excited.

Privateer P1s - I love em cause they represent that true spirit of LeMans. Innovation at a private level and taking on the best. But there's only 4 of them and they're so far behind that they can't even take advantage of factory team miscues. It'd be a lot more interesting if they had somehwat of a chance.

Again, I'll still watch the racing. But large grids with variety and professionalism makes sports car racing great for me. With only 28 cars total, you can't really fall down the grid or work your way up through steadiness.

I get your point and its never been about just the factory P1s for me, but this WEC grid doesn't give you much else.