View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2020, 22:45 (Ref:4005216)   #262
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Yeah, the first 190 you see who is setting up the better fuel strategy, who is avoiding the wrecks, who is best at saving fuel, and who is steadily tweaking their car each stop to improve and working their way up the grid to put themselves into the top 5 or so that have a chance in the last 10. Better known as, every f***ing sunday for scott dixon....
Maybe so, I guess the race cars now are so much more reliable. In the 90's you had to deal with much more fragile machines which I liked a lot actually. A bigger speed disparity from the front to the back of the grid too.
Here is a claim I am going to make: "The 500 was less predictable the 1990s than it is today." Change my mind?

As a whole I enjoyed the race so much more than now. I think the last 500 I watched from start to finish was probably in the late 2000's. Since then its just the last 10 laps.

Another thing that has changed is the length of career of drivers. When I first got into the Indy 500 I was lucky to get to see guys like AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittitapldi, Al Unser Sr, Tom Sneva, and Gordan Johncock race. If they had all retired when they were 42 years old. That would not have happened. Seems to happen less now. Hope that changes. J.P. Montoya, Helio, Kanaan, Jimmie Johnson, and Dixon SHOULD NOT consider retirement until the 2030s!