View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2020, 01:24 (Ref:4005231)   #265
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm not sure how young you think those guys are.

Helio is 45
JPM is 45
TK is 45
JJ is 45
Dixon is 40

AJ's last Indy race he was 58 but dropped the car for Robby Gordon. But was not competitive for years before that.
Mario's last race he was 54.
Big Al's last race he was 51, but again almost a decade since winning

Not sure how you worked out another 10 years for anyone but Dixie and he's not retiring yet.

Would you rather have the names running around in non-competitive cars just to be there? Seems pointless to me and the guys are pushed out now cause they're not as fast or can't find a ride. Without tobacco money and the huge cash of the 80s and early 90s they all would have been out as well.
I'll concede you the point in two ways 1) Yes a couple of those guys were older than I thought so thanks for pointing that out 2)Great point about tobacco sponsorship. Forgot about that. This made a huge difference back in the day. Gave lots of drivers and teams the means to race including AJ Foyt and Emerson Fittipaldi.

I still liked indy car racing and the 500 back in the 1990s though regardless. Can extend that feeling to NASCAR Winston Cup which was awesome back then as well. F1 too. The only form of motorsport that I think is BETTER today than the 1990's is sportscars.