View Single Post
Old 14 Feb 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2633283)   #55
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The silver 'Direct Tyres' 635 was indeed a prodsaloon. Albert Mirko entered his near standard car with slicks for this prestigious meeting and predictably was somewhat off the pace and struggled to compete even with the Class C cars. Mirko had done a couple of Uniroyal or Monroe rounds with the car, and wasn't IIRC a class contender in those either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Thanks for that- I'd been puzzling over the pic in PC since I re-read the report. Mirko is a name I haven't heard in a long time- Don't really know much about him except he was running a 635 in Prodsaloons around that time- got a vague suspicion he turned up racing in the USA some years later.
Did a bit of digging, and I'm guessing this is the Albert Mirko in question-
http://www.mirkoracing.com/about.htm

I thought I remembered the name, as he appeared briefly in the short-lived US NATCC Supertouring series in 1996, with a Honda Accord- unusual in that it was prepared by his own team from a US-spec Accord, so one of the very few US-prepared cars raced in the series, most teams importing secondhand machinery from European series. The '96 NATCC yearbook has a pic of the car, showing the same 'Mirko Racing' logo as on the website