View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2838411)   #69
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Goode dominated class B, but the real drama in the class was behind him, Jon Dooley losing the class championship in controversial circumstances.
Dooley only needed a 4th place finish to clinch the class title- unfortunately, despite being fastest Alfa in qualifying, he also lost two engines, and had to start the race with one described in the report as 'cobbled-together'. Predictably, this was off the pace, and in the race, he ended up down in 5th in class, with team-mate Rob Kirby the leading Alfa in 2nd....

On the last lap, approaching the chicane, Kirby held a narrow lead over Phil Dowsett, but suddenly slowed, allowing a surprised Dowsett to take 2nd in class. Presumably this was a last-ditch attempt to help Dooley into 4th place, however Kirby's momentum was enough to still take him over the line in 3rd, denying his team-mate the class championship....
Dooley wasn't impressed with Kirby's actions, commenting 'He'd have done the team a bigger favour if he'd just driven it into a wall!'

Much of the drama was off-track though, with protests flying around- Dooley protesting the Goode Nissan over it's use of an intercooler, and Toyota protesting the Starion on similar grounds (to say nothing of the scrutineers asking for no less than 3 fuel samples from Brodie's car...)
Since both Brodie and Goode were disqualified in the end, Dolley still won class B!
A few other notes: Taft had both #43 and #36 (at Thruxton, rd 4 at least). #42 Terry Drury racing Alfa was driven by Drury himself.
In a few weeks, the BSCC 1984 will be available at my site - my results for 1984 are pretty complete, and I even could match the final points standing on the official site with my race results.