Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2440853)   #11
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The equalisation system works by comparing fastest lap times. SEAT may be difficult to overtake but if you look at the lap times there's actually very little difference between them and BMW.
Did anybody notice that we're talking about circuit racing and not rally? If you're talking about rally, then the BMW is quicker, as the laptimes may even be faster; if you're talking, as we are, about circuit racing, then it's pretty different.
Of course if I am racing in Imola, for instance, and I want to overtake a SEAT and I'm driving a BMW, all I have to do is hope for the driver in front to make a mistake (which sounds like F1, just horrible...). If, for instance, I wanna overtake him at the Piratella, I won't be able to, because when he accelerates he gains meters that I am not able to take back until we get to the braking, but at that point my advantage is useless, as I don't have a chance to overtake. Same thing if I want to pass on the Tamburello, because the SEAT driver has much more top speed than I do.
So, what are we talking about?
You say it's about skill: then why didn't SEAT win when the only difference in the team was Rydell not being there? It's a world championship, they're mostly great drivers and all of them are great teams. This story that Jaime Puig continuously puts forward is a joke: suddenly, when the TDIs came in, Seat Sport and its drivers became more skilled than BMW Motorsport, its teams and its drivers. What a weird coincidence. Sounds interesting... So, I suppose that if Jaime Puig took over the Honda Accords and had the same drivers he'd still win, since it's only about the team and the drivers.
Why doesn't he tell the truth? Yes, we have a great team and great drivers (which is absolutely true, don't get me wrong) but we also have a great car and its carachteristics make the ultimate difference.
Were it not so, he'd have stuck with the Tfsi.
So, going back to Morocco, I think it's gonna be Seat again. TBH I'd prefer a mix of the system that was there last year and the system used this year: you take the best 2 results of the best drivers of each make and give weights to the models they're driving, using a coefficient for quali, Race 1 and Race 2 to make things more appropriate. Substantially, something inspired to the way they give constructors' championship points. Then, for instance, the best classified model has a +40kgs penalty, the second one 20, the 3rd one 10 and so on (just a naif example). Don't you think it'd be more realistic? This system would also be less subject to any suspect of cheating, as touring fan01 correctly stated. What do you think about that?