View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2023, 20:18 (Ref:4165712)   #863
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Delivery drivers can be an absolute nightmare and are quite capable of getting into trouble themselves and for whom they work.

3 years ago, at the height of the pandemic, as you know, I was stuck in hospital, As I only had limited stuff with me, I started ordering things online to be delivered to the hospital. The hospital had closed all the patient/visitor entrances bar the main one which was manned 24 hours a day and where all patient deliveries had to be made. From there, one of the porters would deliver the items to the various wards.

Knowing this, I made it quite clear on the instructions where the deliveries were to be made, but it seemed that the drivers knew of a side door that was, in theory at least, only used by staff to gain entry. So they carried on using it, and they tried handing parcels and packages to the main reception desk,who kept refusing them; there was even a big notice up on the glass screen saying no deliveries accepted.

So the drivers would just take the packages back to the van and reporting that the delivery had been refused.

In the end, I ended up having multiple phone conversations with a senior manager of a well known online retailer trying to explain exactly how deliveries should be made and more importantly the exact address, plus a map and pictures of the entrance from Google Maps. Even then the next attempt was problematic with the driver trying to get in through an entrance on the other side of the hospital which had a different road name and a different postcode. I then had to guide him to the correct entrance and even then he told the security staff on the entrance that he had to take it to the reception desk, and they made him call me so that I could tell him to leave it with them.

All I can say is that these adventures kept me sane during my 4 months sentence; well I assume it was similar to being incarcerated at his or her pleasure.