View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2024, 19:34 (Ref:4198711)   #620
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The barrister was hired to question Horner over the allegations.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...er-allegations
I might be being pedantic on this, but I don't think that is correct. The barrister wasn't hired to question Horner, he was hired to lead the investigation and present this to Red Bull. Of which questioning Horner was part of it.

My point I am making above is that while Red Bull is using the word "independent" as part of the investigation. On it's face that is to imply "impartiality" in people's minds. But one doesn't mean the other. I haven't read their press releases, but I don't know if they said they brought someone into to perform an "impartial" investigation or not. I suspect not. They clearly knew that if they were using internal resources (which the may have already) that it wouldn't play well from a press perspective.

Who knows what parameters were put forth to the barrister? One option might be... "Run this independently and go where it leads you. We will provide you with whatever you need. We want to know the truth" or it might have been "We need to understand our exposure here? How can we navigate this with the least amount of damage?" Mix in a bit of "wink wink, nudge nudge" as to the desired outcome.. or not! We will never know. But I see nothing about any of this that says this was a truly independent and/or impartial investigation. It might very well have been. But Red Bull is holding all of the specifics private.

I am not saying Horner is guilty or that Red Bull is acting in a nefarious way. But... Red Bull is doing a good job of keeping details closed so that it allows for this type of cynical perspective to exist. They should have the best PR team you can buy. So maybe they are hiding something if they are not being more open. And when I mean "open" it doesn't mean they have to provide the report to the public, but they can provide more specifics on how the investigation was to work (i.e. state they want the truth), how the decision making process works (i.e. who is making the call one way or another) and if Horner was cleared of all allegations or not.

Richard