View Single Post
Old 28 Dec 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1800344)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The more the technology, the more unnecessary effort the driver has to put into understanding non driving stuff that isn't very related to their basic talent of driving a racing car like telemetary graphs (fascinating I suspect to read it maybe), the electonics and the effect it has on the cars dynamics, minute adjustments to braking systems (when more basic brakes would suffice) etcc.

We therefore end up with highly professional and studious drivers who are great for pouring over data with engineers but aren't necessarily that spectacular to watch behind the wheel because they learn to use the tricks very well but their basic talents to get a car by the scruff of the neck and do things with it is quite reduced?

Contentious yes, but when a pure racer like a JPM or (back in his day Senna who got on with the stuff but preferred the car without them?) get fed up with all the gizmo stuff because it's boring them (amongst other things) then what is the point of having it all.

G Villenueve's best quote for me even in the late 70's when there wasn't any OTT technology but ground effect was a problem said something like:

'Hey lets get the cars back to flat bottoms, big fat slick tyres, minimal wings with a bit more power than grip and start getting the cars moving around and sideways again!'

Sound fair enough to me!