View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2023, 21:52 (Ref:4140460)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
for sure we will speculate wildly

but between the budget cap (reduced for this year to 135m i believe), longer season, time between the last race and first test, stability in the rule set etc...i do wonder how much time and effort teams are still willing to spend on misleading their opponents (for about a week or two)?

if you are RB with a reduced budget and wind tunnel time, how much can you even scrutinize every new part by the other teams anymore? then do it again after the first test, first race, and so on for the remainder of the season?

anyway, love the cap and hope austerity means less launch day mock up shenanigans.
First, I think marketing is excluded from the caps? So teams could have a big splash if they wanted. But I think you point is how much "physical" content (that probably would count to the cap) will they create just for the launch events. Or maybe how much can they spy and copy?

I think if they have staff on hand, they can always look at stuff (photos, etc.) and think "What are they doing here?" and it may not cost much extra if at all. I say this without knowing how much extra time the design engineers might have to look at other teams work.

I don't think the teams have the money to see something on Monday and have a copy of it on the car the next weekend. I do think there will always be this process of look at other teams, perform analysis, copy if there is value, try on car. Previously they could do this regularly and quickly. Today, they probably have to be more selective and slowly due to cost.

Richard