View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2023, 16:07 (Ref:4140552)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think if they have staff on hand, they can always look at stuff (photos, etc.) and think "What are they doing here?" and it may not cost much extra if at all. I say this without knowing how much extra time the design engineers might have to look at other teams work.
true that would not cost very much at all...more so if the goal is just to get something banned then they wouldnt have to copy/build it themselves per say but just do enough observational analysis on it to raise questions about legality.

the Merc DAS system comes to mind...dont think any of the teams had to build out that system themselves in order to convince FOM that it should be ultimately banned under the (legitimate imo) defence of the budget cap/prevent a spending war in that area.

so no doubt any lead time you give the other teams/FOM the more you expose yourself so perhaps there is still a very strong reason for obfuscation during the launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t think teams worry about other teams copying bits off their car, as they still have to make it work. The best designers and engineers know how to make it effective. Plus teams have their own unique ways anyway. They only use what can work on their car, not what works on another car.
very valid point. Merc had issues last season but it didnt seem like they could just fix their problem by seeing what RB was doing and copy that. their respective design philosophies were different enough that Merc required/requires a solution unique to its car.