View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2020, 15:59 (Ref:4001454)   #277
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it's funny to say "Webber occasionally hard the better of him". I think people forget how dominant Seb was. Webber never even managed to finish second in the championship. Even when Vettel won the title by over 100 points, Mark still wasn't runner up - in fact he wasn't even close. And the time when the Red Bull maybe wasn't quite as far ahead as the others (2012), Seb won the title and Mark was 6th. If Bottas finished 6th in the championship in a car Lewis was winning in, people here would be asking for his head. But now we look back and pretend Seb wasn't that good and it was all the car. Well, if it was all the car and Seb is kinda average, than Mark Webber must be a truly terrible driver.

Sebs last 2 years at Ferrari have been a complete disaster. But I don't really see a downside on this AMR gamble here. If Seb does well, then AMR get a WDC at the wheel, someone to tutor Lance, and all the input his years of experience running in some of the best cars gives.

If Seb does badly, he'll go in the huff and leave. AMR still got knowledge out of him for the car and for Lance.

If they stick with Perez then they get what they currently have. An average driver who has already peaked, who Lance is somehow closing the gap on.

I don't mind Perez, but this seems like a gamble worth taking to be honest. Because worst case scenario is Seb does badly, leaves, and then you get someone else in. You can't put drivers like Russell in that car yet because he doesn't have the experience to lead the team, which is what Lance doesn't have. But by the time Seb leaves (either on good or bad terms) then drivers like Russell are ready. And it's the perfect seat for them.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 10 Sep 2020 at 16:21.