View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2003, 23:50 (Ref:684615)   #22
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got me pics back and..... arrrrggghhh, more than a few (read most) exhibit tell-tale signs of too-slow-shutter-speed syndrome. 1/250 sec was not quite enough, so I have potentially lovely, stable and interesting shots that happen to have the subject a bit motion-blurred and that just looks poor. Not even slightly artistic. 1/350 sec was perfect on the day, as those shots are pleasing and sharp. Sharp as sheep sh... plops.

My panning ability has dropped since giving up motorsport three years ago. My excuse is it's my first use of the big lens on the monopod, and I find as I pan I trace an arc with the lens. I soon learned to start off a bit wonky so that as I reached the point of shutter release, the car wasn't attempting a 30 degree incline. I do have a couple (literally two) nice and very sharp pans. One of that red TVR Grantura (Mark someone) and the other of a red FFord.

All in all, I have learned a lot from my first outing with the 300 and I'll set a bleedin' faster shutter speed next time.

The EOS 1N coped extremely well with the variable lighting, only chucking its guts a couple of times on backlit scenes where I didn't have time to dial-in compensation.

I am very pleased with my paddock shots, being varied, saturated (used Velvia), sharp and well-exposed. I didn't get as many driver-concentrating-in-car shots but I will do more next time.

Over and out.