View Single Post
Old 8 Apr 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3969349)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Out in the big wide world I'm seeing some major companies struggling with the virus. As I alluded to earlier. if the manufacturers aren't selling cars the shareholders will be questioning why they are spending millions on racing rather than issuing dividends. Williams, racing point and Haas have no, or very little, interest in selling cars. They want to race and need sponsors. Ignoring Red Bull and Torro Rosso.

Merc, Ferrari and Renault are car makers first. Fiat has shut down its plants, Renault is standing still and Merc are doing likewise. The leasing market has/will collapse so no "sales" there. There is no spare cash for a vanity project, it just isn't there. Unlike previous setbacks such as the financial crash in 2008 which was largely in banking and finance, this has impacted the entire manufacturing system.

So as I believe Mr B is alluding, we need to see a total re write of the rules to make sure there is racing. If that means doing away with over complicated engines/eight speed gearboxes, wings, daft floors that are wings and other gubbins, then it will assist the smaller teams.
Because of the impact the virus is having, I think it may very well force a rewrite of the rules.