Thread: LM24 Le Mans Film On Telly
View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2002, 23:26 (Ref:262636)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for that, Hakkiman.

While we're on the subject of the best motor racing film ever, can someone enlighten me about the Porsche wreck which takes place in it?

There is the spectacular sequence of a 917 bouncing off guardrails which results in someone's apparent retirement (not giving away too many plot points for those who've not yet seen it).

Was this scripted? The cameras seem too well-placed for it to be chance, but on the other hand, it's an odd twist for the narrative to take. Was it a stunt setup, or... was it done to take something positive from David Piper crashing a car during filming. If it is a stunt, did they incorporate anything from Piper's accident?

All this I could probably answer for myself if I had a copy of "A French Kiss with Death", but I don't, so I'm hoping one of you erudite people....

It seems an odd thing to do - incorporating a personal injury accident into footage for a movie, but at about the same time, the makers of "Tora Tora Tora" were splicing crash footage of one of their B-17 bombers into the storyline, so stranger things have happened.