View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4066429)   #285
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Here's a thought.

What we know or can surmise from reasonably reliable sources:
- GR010 doesn't quite perform as expected
- GR010's looks weren't very well received by the public, expecting it to look more like a hypercar
- Peugeot unveiled a competitor that's a total gamechanger, at least in terms of presentation and image. What if most LMH/LMDh brands put this much emphasis on that?!
- a prototype of GR010's road car sibling burned down during testing

All of the factors above are nudging Toyota in the direction of a more radical redesign both on the LMH and the road hypercar front. Whereas the LMH car seems to need troubleshooting and an extensive image change, IMO. the road car can be almost a clean sheet design that's only stylistically aligned with the updated LMH design. I don't buy that losing the mule/prototype, even if it was the only one would make a giant manufacturer like Toyota abandon the whole project... unless there was something already significantly wrong or very difficult with it. For example, using an LMH-derived drivetrain could prove a mammoth task. It could be similar to what Mercedes/AMG have struggled with for a good few years now (Project ONE). Meanwhile some other manufacturers proved that astonishing performance can be reliably extracted from hybrid drivetrains without any direct link to racing projects. Some of them, almost a decade ago! As much as I like and respect homologation specials (or similar), non-racing-derived supercars have been more successful, especially in recent times.
On top of that, the styling of the Super Sport didn't set the world on fire, as far as I recall.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 12 Aug 2021 at 14:52.