View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2020, 10:35 (Ref:3982015)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, agreed Gordon. I bought a decent video-equipped SLR last year and I was really miffed that the video really wasn't as good as the video on my 2 year old iPhone....
Using old style filters with a digital camera for anything other than exposure adjustment (graduated filters ND filters) or polarising may not be a fun experiment.

Digital cameras have auto white balance so if you stick a filter in the light path to correct and image the Auto WB will attempt to correct it back again.

As Gordon said, easier to fix in post processing or by using the many options built in to most cameras f you want to play with "Styles".

Plus, in general, the optical abilities of digitcal sensors and modern lenses, at least as 35mm film size "alternative" offerings, is usually well beyond anything one could reasonably expect to achieve with consumer lenses and films from back in the day.

Stick a filter in the light path (many will suggest) and you simply run the risk of reducing the overall optical quality.

Even ND and graduated filters can be confusing for digital sensors unless one takes into account the available features one is using in the camera and for actions shots polarising filters are almost impossible to use even if attempting "static" subject positions. Fun, though, if shooting landscapes, architecture, products/still life and maybe some types of outdoor portraits.

Now so long as you are aware of such things there is no harm at all in wanting to play with the filters to see what happens. It's low cost these days with no film to process!

Filter holders are available at relatively low cost but iirc Cokin worked with at least 2 sizes (of "square" filters - I assume the type you have if you need a holder) and I'm not sure whether both sizes are equally readily available.