Thread: WEC WEC 2021 season
View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4048301)   #394
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I sort of saw this coming, between the portly weight of LMH and the fact that BOP was introduced into the class this year (EOT was basically BOP as of last season).

This is possibly Toyota playing BOP games with LMP2, let alone Alpine. I sort of also call bullcrap on Toyota claiming that they can't go down much in terms of weight. I'd bet that the GR010 is heavily ballasted to meet 1030+kgs. Is it heavier than the base TS050? Sure, but it's not like they can't take ballast out of the car if the ACO call for it.

I can obviously see Toyota not being happy on spending millions of dollars to develop a car that as of now is barely faster than a LMP2 car that costs significantly less money and is an off the shelf car that anyone with a big enough check book can buy.

But, how much of that is their own making to milk the BOP system (which Graham thinks Toyota are to some degree, both between LMP2 and within LMH), and how much of it is down to the ACO making LMH cars so heavy? Some drivers have said observing the Toyotas that the big reason they seem slower in sector 2 is the weight they have to carry.

If there's no or little sandbagging going on, who got their sums wrong? Toyota? The ACO?
Could it be that until a great many more manufacturers come forward with their hypercar projectiles, the FIA/ACO need to ensure that privateers with LMP2's need to be kept very very interested to continue racing?