View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1680728)   #48
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
i agree with that jag the corvette C6R's are not exactly hugely fast in the hands of privateer teams even a very good team such as GLPK can not bring the car near the pace of the maseratis and the quicker astons hell even the saleen S7R or zakspeed is showing the much newer and more expensive corvette C6R's and sont mention the LMS god the aston martins are anhilating the C6R's only reason why is that the works vette team is in my eyes the best run team i have ever seen in sportscar racing with all pro drivers of an impeccably high standard when the corvette C6R's run with privateer teams like many of the astons are doing they just dont have the speed and the racepace so it proves that either the vette's are tricky to drive and hard to set-up correctly or they arent as fast as what people thought they were
Good poiints.
Here at least one of the questions is: is it the local?
Chevrolets-US, car, engine and parts in its homeland.
Aston Martin-British (euro), car, engine and parts at least near its homeland.

Who builds the Corvette engines in Europe?
Here the LS engines now have become familiar enough that after-market concerns are building improved non-factory parts, and the LS is no longer new territory to top engine builders.
Does this scenario exist in the European arena, or are the Corvette teams subject to second line service from the US?

Similar for Aston Martin, in the US they are a long way from home, and cannot simply go to an after market supplier to see if some one has a better idea, or parts.

The Saleen Fords, are using basically improvements on an engine that is 30 plus years old, so by now it is familiar to any builder of US engines, anywhere.

It would be interesting to see who would show up if Chevy said goodbye, but then with the old Cliché; of power and corruption being illustrated in a grand manner by the ACO/ALMS concerns, I have little doubt it would be more of the same old-same old.
Bob