Old 12 May 2007, 14:31 (Ref:1911683)   #80
smh
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
smh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra-simca
Before Porsche thinks about Le Mans, they've got to build a 12 hour car first......

Le Mans discredited? Never, though the FIA did make a huge attempt back in the early 90s. Only victim, unfortunately, was the Mulsanne Straight.

If any event is dicredited, brought on by their own people, then it's got to be the 24 Hours of Daytona. I remember watching the first Daytona Continental on TV in 1962... My, how times have changed.....To replace it, I keep hoping for an around-the-clock classic at Road America. I know, it'll never happen.

Todd
I have to agree about Daytona, I did it a few times and quite enjoyed it, though it got bleedin cold at night. I remember brushing ice of the golf cart seat early in the morning... It was a good test for the cars if you were entering LeMans - a proper 24hr race. The new DP cars just dont interest me at all, its like nascar with right turns.
In the ALMS I dont think P2 cars are being forced into P1 by the Porsches, but dont forget Penske have a massive backing and is more of a works team. Intersport probably left P2 because the Lola is a pretty expensive car to run and the P1 class was looking decidedly empty. Most of the P2 cars can be modified to become P1 cars and vice-versa so the costs would be similar but why race in a class where theres the most competition?