View Single Post
Old 1 May 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4154009)   #165
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
As one who detests DRS, if it has to remain, I'd consider this worth a try.

Not sure if they would consider the GPS tracking accurate enough for the purpose? Cause that is what you would need to measure the gap at any given time instead of at a detection line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I've long thought that the mention of a "DRS train" could easily be got rid of by making sure that if there are several cars within 1s of the preceding car, then only the final car in the train gets DRS.

For even more fun, only allow DRS to apply if there's 3 or more cars in the train.

I've never been that fond of it, but it might as well give the power to the driver at the rear end as it might the driver at the front!
I’m afraid that with that proposal you would often just get random back and forth behind the first car of the train. Consider the scenario where you have 4 cars in a DRS train. The first one is the slowest, the third is the fastest, the 2nd is 2nd fastest and the last one third slowest. The latter would get DRS and pass the third guy (who is actually fastest). Now they are switched around but now the fastest guy has DRS and passes him back again. At the same time the second guy can’t pass the first because he doesn’t have DRS. You can swap who is fastest and slowest around, but I reckon it would not solve anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t see the need for it, cars can race closer now. So it’s not necessary. Let drivers use their skills again. The sooner it’s gone the better. We need less over complicated rules
Well we saw in Bakuh that the shorter DRS straight and the cars producing more downforce this year, overtaking was very hard if you didn’t have a (DRS)speed advantage like the Red Bulls. People got stuck behind others for the whole race ( I mean it should be hard, don't get me wrong, but I reckon it was a little too hard). I would be very happy if we could do without DRS, but for the time being it seems it’s a necessary evil. I do think the proposal I listed would help a lot to reduce the extend to which it makes overtaking with DRS so artificial right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Certainly saw several passes (or near passes) in Baku in non-DRS zones or non-DRS times of the race. Might simply be the nature of that circuit of course (the long cute with the capacity to slipstream isn't something we regularly see for example).

There are some circuits where the DRS seems to really be needed but Baku isn't one of them. No doubt also, if there was no DRS, the teams / drivers would likely find a way to get it done, rather than waiting for the DRS.

I agree that without DRS, drivers and teams would look harder for other ways to overtake, but there's only so much you can do in a high downforce category. For instance the one from Alonso on Sainz was because Sainz got held up by his teammate in the opening lap. The one where Hulkenburg got passed, was because he made an error in the corner before (which still counts as a worthwhile overtake of course, certainly better than any DRS one).

I'm not really receiving much feedback on the merit of what is at the core of the proposal: To use DRS to get the following cars close enough to let the natural slipstream effect and the classic positioning and braking dual do their thing on the straights rather than the current woosh by or not?Was I clear enough explaining why it would possibly be a better way of doing DRS with minimal change?

One further example I failed to mention: On the straight in a battle for position the leading car is allowed ONE sideways more (before braking). In the past the timing and speed when making such a move was a fine craft in trying to keep the following car behind. In turn the following car was trying to trick the front car on which side he was going to pass. This could make for interesting, prolonged fights on track. I know of one F1 rookie to use this single move to defend against a following car with DRS. He was slammed for making such a dangerous manoeuvre at such speeds. So something that was previously part of the finecraft of racing was now lambasted as dangerous because the DRS made the speed difference too large to make if safe and subtle like it used to be. I find this very sad.

The proposal I made tries to still compensate for the corner deficit of the following car as is now with the current DRS, but in a way that is much more exiting to watch, requiring much more classic racecraft and as a result being a lot less artificial.

Anyway, from 2026 they will use active aero to aid the following car in the corners and then DRS would not be necessary any more, but till that time this would be a minimum change alteration with potentially a very positive impact on both on how it improves the quality of racing and reducing the justly artificial perception with the more purist motorsport fans (to whom I consider myself part).
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.