Thread: 10Ths Icon Getting to know you!
View Single Post
Old 17 May 2007, 16:32 (Ref:1915438)   #53
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, I've not posted here either... well, here goes.

My name's Mike, I'm 26 years old, and I got into motorsport relatively late in life. I used to go to stock car and banger racing events in Ipswich when I was younger, but I was never really that interested in the sport. Then, in 1999 I was bored one Sunday afternoon, so I put the TV on just before the start of the British Grand Prix. I'd never watched a GP all the way through (found it too boring most of the time!), but with nothing else to do I decided to sit down and watch it. I was hooked from then, and watched the rest of the races that year.

At the end of 1999 I started buying F1 Racing magazine, and got most of them, until I stopped again in 2004 and 2005. In 2001 I went to my first "real" race meeting, which was the BTCC round at Snetterton (the night race where it rained a fair bit). Despite the rain I was hooked, although we didn't go to another race meeting until mid 2002, another BTCC round - this time at Brands Hatch.

My interest in model cars started at that Snetterton meeting, where I bought my first diecast, Johnny Herberts Jaguar from the 2000 season. When I got a full time internet connection in 2002 I soon discovered ebay and the big market of F1 diecasts, and have since built up quite an impressive collection of 1:18 and 1:43 scale F1 and sportscars (and one F3). I don't really collect models any more though, a) because I have more important things to spend the money on, and b) I don't have the space for them. Most of my 1:18 scale models are currently in the loft at my parents house!

For Christmas 2002 my then girlfriend bought me a season pass for what are now the MSV tracks, so I went to loads of races in 2003. I decided to buy a cheap digital camera to keep a record of it all, and the rest is history... In late 2004 I snapped the Aston Martin DBR9 testt
ing at Snetterton, and got my first photo published. That opened up loads of doors, and I did a load of stuff for various websites and magazines.

At the end of 2006 I won the MSA Young Motorsport Photographer award, and shortly after that was offered a full time job with a photography agency. It would've been stupid to say no, so I moved near to Silverstone in February, and have been here ever since! I still go to races for fun, and can't wait for Le Mans!