Old 8 May 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1908883)   #54
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Hmmm. Yes, maybe. But for me, I'd rather see the factories do what Porsche did in the 80s - sell cars to privateers and let the privateers compete on a (reasonably) level playing field.

Pie in the sky though these days, I suppose.
I agree, and to their credit Porsche are suppling the new LMP car, but not to Europe it seems.

As for Audi selling an R10, I doubt it, but again a few R8's did get out, Goh, Arena, Champion, and Audi Uk to be run with the factory blessing.

Its an interesting point the apart from Porsche, not many others have ever sold Prototype customer cars apart from the racing car makers like Lola.

I can't recall any more than 1 TWR jag ever run outside TWR, Sauber/Merc sold a car a year to Del Bello, Lancia let a few go to Jolly Club and Action Team.
Toyota and Nissan needed to supply teams to race in Japan Grp C, but not anything like the number of 956's 962's and none of the more recent cars.

The nearest I can think of is the Ferrari 333P which was available and very good too.

So maybe we should view audi in that context and be happy that at least a few did escape.

I hope that the Swiss Spirit Audi deal may be a sign of things to come, and once the factory R10 project finishes, then they do contine to supply engines to teams, either R8 petrol or the oil burner.