View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2022, 01:55 (Ref:4132753)   #3232
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
and its not just the the chips being decided early...does anyone really have the money left to push the competitive envelope in these close out races?

while im a big fan of the cap, i must acknowledge that the cap (in its early stages at least) has not done much to improve just how competitive many teams can or want to be at this stage of the season.

will be interesting to see how this Alpine v Mclaren battle plays out, who will be risky with their engines and who will play it safe but i suspect neither has much money left to fight with. more so for Haas and AT.
17 races a year would average out to a race once every 3 weeks, so I think 16-18 races is about the optimum in terms of really looking after the teams, a reasonable cost cap and allowing for say, 3 days testing as a prelude to the season, plus maybe a mid-season test.

We are at a stage where all the teams have enough financial backing to fill out the cost cap amount without anyone being significantly short on cash flow so we are arriving at a point where we are probably entering an era where who does the best job and make the most effective use of resources, will rise to the top of the pile if they are not already there.

Unless there are significant profits being piled up for the benefit of the teams the extra races are just putting more personal resource challenges on teams with little real gain in both the quality of inter-team competition and the quality of the championship as a series.