View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2007, 18:09 (Ref:2093449)   #71
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm actually not saddened at all that this seems to be the end of the Evo rules. And, frankly, from a practical perspective, I think you're right, Jag, about both the need to update chassis between now and 2010 and the apparent fact that manufacturers have dissuaded the ACO from making any rash moves. (I think your reading of a possible need for a new tub is wrong, because that would kind of rule out the "only bodywork and restrictors" phrase, but that's a minor quibble.)

However, the one thing that I think you're overlooking is that this was done out in the open, played to the press, rather than using quiet negotiations with the manufacturers. That's where my main quibble lies. It gives the appearance of poor management IMO. (The ACO are hardly unique though.)

The amount of public resistance shown by the existing competitors both times around (remember how the original image had Corvette livery, and that fairly quickly disappeared?) should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I thought the Evo rules idea was not without merit, but the ACO should never have found themselves in the position of making a pronouncement ("All P1s will be coupes by 2010") that they ultimately had to withdraw.

Poor PR, not poor rulesmaking.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James