View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3154447)   #162
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allow me the following observations, in no particular order; I don't see one class working just yet because (directed at GT3, E and anyone who'll listen)

GT3 has the numbers but endurance (Blancpain, Le Mans) has the spectators and the entries;
performance balancing is irksome; GT cars less powerful than their roadgoing counterparts for any reason other than longevity seems plain wrong to me; penalising Ferrari (for example) for making a more economical car, when it is based upon the roadgoing spec., is silly; likewise, not allowing 4WD when it's available in production; no-one races old GT3 cars
competitively so again performance balancing doesn't work;
ACO make a rod for their own back in designing rules that mean a GT cannot win outright (or at least it's incredibly unlikely); no-one has rules that attract Veyron, Aero or Koenigsegg type-vehicles, which costs in specators (though I suppose the VLN classes may accomdate these); what about locally-homologated cars such as the Mosler, Ginetta, Aquila, Chevron, Ultima etc; what about the Caparo, the Atom, some Radicals, which, whilst not classically 'Grand Touring' are no less 'honest' road cars than a 911GT2/3 for example; cost-capping and spec parts remind me of the markets for printers and ink;

For future consideration in GT racing I'd like the following considered

-weight and fuel tank size to be determined by the standard road model
-minimum of one roadgoing model (both measures to help small manufacturers)
-as per old LM regs., touring cars must arrive under their own steam (providing valuable publicity) - maybe award points (as per racing) for highest mileage achieved on road (eg legally and with race driver on board)
-as above, tyre changes must include one wheel / tyre combo that was carried onboard

anyway, that's my twopenneths' worth, thanks for listening