View Single Post
Old 7 Feb 2023, 05:43 (Ref:4142936)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That is true, but in athletics the competitors aren’t on the limit of adhesion so it appropriate the sports deal with it in a different manner, as someone else wrote.

And it needed defining if kerbs are pavement or track. The look like neither to me! As you aren’t going to have a pavement next to a race track why not use the kerbs?

It isn’t a fundamental thing. It needs deciding upon. It was fundamental when it was just the topography of the landscape that defined it, but we have developed away from that.

Previously, part of the landscape was used or not used depending on what was faster and what was dangerous. If there is something fundamental about Motorsport that is it.

As with the Highway Code or the edge of the playing area in a sport it needs defining. Each sport treats it differently depending.

If I’m allow to I will, if not I won’t. I’m easy.
Why not use them?Because the white line is not on the outside of the kerb,it devides the kerb from the permitted track surface.
Everyone must remember Black Jack Brabham?The reason for his nick name came about because of deliberate attempts to stop anyone else getting past by driving over the edges to throw up dust and stones.It got to the point where drivers refused to take their grid spots if Brabham was allowed to race at one GP.None the less,it was sorted out and the race took place.Imagine having glass goggles on and getting a fateful of debry on every corner.
Where I work there are some favorite ,for some,kerbs people like to run over down through Wippermann.Running those kerbs still puts a tremendous shock through the chassis and suspension,as many have found to their expense.Time saving par lap using the berbs?Around three tenths.Those three tenths can easily be found overr the next 21klm without the need to drive ANY kerbs.I remember a time when kerb use was regarded as cheating.Drivers values have obviously changed.