View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2019, 20:27 (Ref:3885410)   #15
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Spare wheel is not just an MSV circuit thing - lots of events stipulate stopping to change a wheel in the event of a puncture (the Clacton closed road event for example). We have to carry a spill kit too for most events now. Hi-viz - does seem to be overkill, but a couple of hi-viz vests aren't going to be the make or break for anyone between competing or not.

"Find another venue" - be my guest. Rallying is losing venues, new ones are hard to come by and if getting them / keeping them means carrying a spare wheel then it's a small price to pay. We've had other stipulations beyond the 'puncture' one - "keep off the grass" at Marham and "keep off the daffodils" at Goodwood for example - again it's a condition of using the venue so you live with it. The only part I don't quite understand is why a rally competitor gets billed for damage caused to the circuit but a circuit racer doesn't?

The circuit rally events are a good platform for raising awareness of the sport and may get more people interested / involved. Certainly having events at MSV circuits has raised the profile of club level rallying - there were people at the Brands rally that had never been to a rally before, they were there because they go to touring cars and had seen the rally being promoted by MSV so came along to have a look. That's got to be positive for the sport surely?
The circuit racing clubs do get billed for damage and its up to the clubs whether they pass that on to the competitor.

Agree on the crowds - I have seen far far bigger crowds watching the circuit rallies at Oulton, Donington and Snetterton than watch club racing, or indeed any national racing outside BTCC.