Thread: LM24 Hyperpole
View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3947504)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
I am not a fan of that hyperpole. It will be a short but intensive time for sure. But the former formula could keep you much attentive until the end of the session....
Exactly Eric!

The three qualifying practices held our attention throughout, because although we knew the likely periods of those sessions when the teams were most likely go for qualifying times, we could never be sure. 6 hours of our complete 'attention'. With this new format, things will feel a little flat during the free practice sessions, no anticipation or peaks of excitement, because for the spectator, nothing we see will actually seem to matter. Like others, I also feel that final 2 hour free practice session on the Thursday will feel totally insignificant, teams concentrating on race set up and getting those mandatory night laps completed.

I suspect this is part of a 'modernisation' process in preparation for hypercar, Le Mans falling into line with the norm. I also think this is to accommodate the preferences of broadcasters, a focused 45 minutes on Wednesday and 30 minutes on Thursday working much better for them than 6 hours of 'it could happen at any moment'.

Another thing that makes Le Mans unique gone...