View Single Post
Old 2 May 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2873219)   #73
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildrop View Post
Hubble - I can see why you and the other journalists or photographers see that the filming of a crash is newsworthy. Yes it's the sort of thing we see on the news all the time.

The aircraft landing on the Hudson River as an example was huge and opportunist photographers caught the moment to be shared worldwide.

What I can't understand is why you would want to film or photograph somebody clearly in a lot of pain or distress. That sort of film or photo wouldn't make the news screens as the aftermath rarely does due to it's sensitivity.

So please feel free to enlighten us as to what purpose this film would have had if the Marshal hadnt stopped Alfaman.
Hi Mildrop.....

If you want to know what purpose this film would have you should ask Alfaman....perhaps do it privately though....

I would point out that nowhere in my post did I say I wanted to film people in distress - perhaps you could take the time to read things thoroughly before commenting in future....? The way in which your post is presented is only going to add fuel to the fire....remember - I'm not answerable to you....

As a responsible and considerate adult I do know where to draw the line for me from a moral standpoint - what I would consider good/bad taste, whether to take images/film to begin with, and also whether to make them public or not, but that isn't what this discussion is about.

The OP asked a simple question - do marshals have the right to stop people filming/taking photo's - the simple answer is no. As for the moral issue...that's one for each of us to deal with in our own way.

So far this debate has centred around a particular occasion where a trackside incident spilled over into a public area, however as I mentioned in an earlier post we could just as easily be talking about a person in a spectator area being taken ill, or being injured in some way. The same rules would apply, but I suspect it would be left for members of the public and circuit staff to deal with. As appointed officials of the venue the circuit staff would have the right to eject anyone behaving in a way they deemed inappropriate, and marshals MAY be asked to assist in this.

A question for you.....imagine an incident has already taken place when you arrive there.....
What would you do about the images/film already taken...? You cannot delete them...even the Police have no power to do that...

I can't find anything that confirms that marshals are officials of the venue - the organising club perhaps (is that not who you sign on with?), but not the venue. Think of Brands Hatch for example, where members of the public may be engaged in activities on the rally course or even the kart circuit while a meeting is taking place on the track.....BARC/BRSCC etc would have no say regarding issues there unless they impacted upon portions of the circuit/facilities allocated to them. This would be for circuit staff alone to deal with.

I want to state I'm not seeking to inflame things here, just present a balanced view - a number of those commenting are marshals, and clearly one or two have lost their objectivity in this debate.

Lets stick to the question at hand.