View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1389551)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
I'm sorry, but add "sense of humour", "patience" and "common sense" to the list. It's the 1st 24hr race at Silverstone for many years, and the first for the EERC. I'm sure things will go wrong, and some people will use it as an excuse to have a go. But please give it a fair chance.

As anyone who has done a 2CV 24hr will tell you it's the atmosphere and 'uniqueness' of the event that matters, rather than if someone's done a 6hr 10minute shift when they should only do 6hrs.

Not even going to bother looking what HSE has to say about the matter (and don't bother posting it here)

FUN in motorsport. INVOLVED in motorsport. ENTHUSIASTIC about motorsport - not a bad motto for marshals to think about, because that's why I do it. End of.

Al.
Alan, I'm not sure if you're aiming that at me or someone else but to be honest I find the final paragraph of your post quite irritating (that's actually an understatement). To suggest that those of us who marshal don't have fun, get involved and be enthusiastic is a joke. What makes us turn out weekend after weekend then? Of course we all do those things and you'll find that the majority of us have patience, common sense and a sense of humour in droves.

Can we please get away from the idea that it's not possible to have a sensible discussion about these things without it becoming a slanging match about events, clubs and organisers. Surely these are topics worth discussion in a sensible manner not just in the form of "if you want it to work you'll turn up?? We've all kept turning up for years and things aren't getting any better, we're getting fewer and fewer marshals which means the viability of events such as these is getting more and more borderline. Let's deal with the issues not just sweep them under the carpet behind a raft of insults to those who have a difference of opinion.

And, just so you know I've done five 24 hours races, at Spa and at Snetterton in the last four years.

Also (I'm nearly done!!) the difference between 6 hrs and 6 hrs ten minutes is potentially huge - a tired person is not a competent person whether you're talking about a marshal, a doctor or a lorry driver.

Please let's have sensible discussions about this stuff and listen to others opinions not just shoot them down.