View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2024, 10:19 (Ref:4201741)   #226
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

It makes them go fast, what's wrong with going fast?
F1 cars (imo) are already fast enough in fast corners, I mean how fast do people really need F1 cars around fast corners? I would argue that actually F1 cars have too much grip in fast corners. Didn't JV once say that when F1 cars can take Eau Rouge flat out then thats when the cars have too much aero? I think we are already way passed that. 5000kg of downforce is ludicrous.

Where the cars have become so much slower is the in the slower corners and lets face it, its the slower corners where the spectators can get the closest to the cars. At nearly every fast corner the paying public are either banned from being anywhere near the corner(s) or they are so far away that its unspectacular. Whenever I look at F1 from decades ago, its not the high speed but the low speed performance that takes my breath away. That is what we have lost with today's cars.

Going back to that 5000kg figure. Whenever you build a tower so high, it falls with greater effect. This is what is happening with the current cars, they have so much downforce, that it only takes a relatively small exterior factor to disturb it and the whole thing is then out of spec. If they lowered the reliance on the aero wholesale, then if an exterior force intervened, the effect on the cars would be much less. I think colloquial evidence suggests that a mid-2000 car had about 2600kg of overall downforce, so roughly half what we have now?