View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2022, 06:58 (Ref:4130790)   #411
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
A little off topic here, but I'd say some of the current manufacturers built part of their reputation on pre bop racing. Think Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette. After the reputation was built, we've gone into maintenance mode. (Read: Marketing). The manufacturers will race as long as it makes marketing sense, not technical development sense. Losing all the time doesn't make marketing sense, and race promotors know close racing sells. Hence bop.

So the answer is yes I think people still buy cars based on racing. Just not the actual race product of today. Only anoraks on the fence care that there's a luxury Lexus duking it out with a Ferrari. Or anoraks in their living room.
TBH GT3 racing is a business in itself at this point. Would not be surprised if major GT3 manufacturers are making profit from just selling GT3 cars to clients as well as maintenance and sare parts. Heck the constant new evo version after 2-3 years seems to be a way of selling more cars/parts to existing customers.
Makes me think if LMdH will be similar and the manufacturers that have most cars on grid might actually stand to profit

Ok this was offtopic - back to main thread