View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2020, 12:22 (Ref:3989727)   #47
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Thoughts? Personally, I feel it would be wrong for an EV to try and sound like a combustion engine. Why try to be something it is not? I think it should be accepted that an EV is different - and that can also go through to the looks as well as sound.
You'd have thought it'd be an easy enough thing to personalise - select your chosen sound from a menu (much like selecting a radio station or whatever). But however they make noise they do need to make some - a friend of mine is registered blind and they hate electric cars - they're too quiet, they need to be heard approaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Why does the typical family/small car have to have power unit in front of the cabin, with the storage at the back and the fuel source somewhere around the rear seats? It is a practical design choice for an ICE car, but is it the best choice for EVs?
I was thinking about this (given that a lot of the recently announced EV's are just appalling generic SUV's). I guess crash protection has a bit to do with it - you need something in front of the driver to absorb impact (so something looking like the old VW campers is a no go as there's no room for crumple zones). Storage at the back makes sense as you can load to the ceiling and fold down rear seats to increase load space. So you're pretty limited in what you can do really if you're trying to make a practical car.