View Single Post
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:30 (Ref:403941)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The point is that when Nige & company were dominating and the Prost/Senna tandem were dominating there was a great deal of concerning about any team having it all over the others. I will be the first to say Ferrari has not handled things well, but comments in other threads like "Ferrari holding a contractual gun to the 2nd driver's head" is the kind of thing that makes this a "personal" discussion rather than one about the sport. No one forced Rubens to sign as number 2. Whatever your opinion of Schumi Sr may be, RB, while certainly better than adequate is not in his league. Team orders have been handled subtly or badly over the years. Correct me (I am unsure of the dates) but was not Fangio given his team mate's car at one point to ensure his success? That does not make Fangio any less the Maestro he is remembered as. It simply means the team knew who the #1 was.

Ferrari are not the problem. They are a symptom. FIA need to review the rules and return competitive balance. Not with lead weights or car/wife/girlfriend/tirechanger/caterer swapping but with rules that will prevent the need for spending mega-millions to find an extra tenth of a second.

Patrick Head himself called it like it is: Williams and Mc have to raise their game, penalizing Ferrari is not the answer.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.