Thread: WEC WEC 2021 season
View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4075384)   #537
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My fair opinion is this: as far bop can be improved to make things more "balanced", toyota dropped about 2.5s from nowhere during hyperpole and then kept on running again on a planned slower pace both in late FP sessions and race. And I don't even think hyperpole times is 100% of toyota potential.
I honestly think that a power increase for 007 will make the car faster for sure, but toyota will remain on a different league anyhow because of awd and in general because of a better overall package that a private team/small manufacturer won't be able to match.
The only way to realistically give chances to let everyone win is to step back to bop/success ballast system of 2019-2020 with toyotas artificially made unable to win due considerable weight increase and cut of hybrd/ICE power.
But at that point it shouldn't even be called motorsport anymore to me...

Real culprit to me is ACO that afraid to lose appeal, idolized and still idolizes last or few manufacturer standing, giving it/them full power and influence about regulamentations, despite that influence will likely be the reason of failures (hypercar class was made because in late 10's a 8MJ hybrid lmp1 class wasn't sustainable anymore for toyota and other manufacturers... the same technical regs that ACO decided surrendering to audi/porsche/toyota technical diktat for advanced hybrid cars in early '10s).
It happened with audi in '00, it is still happening with toyota since 2017. When politics and economic struggles are more important than motorsport, forget to see a fair competition between manufacturers and private teams.
AWD-RWD hypercar bop is just the tip of the iceberg of a much deeper structual problem.