View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1750505)   #172
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
My knee jerk reaction was to say I'd like to see an all prototype field thinking about it briefly comes up with a very different answer.

First off, having different battles that really mean something makes the race come alive. Seeing LNT slowly but surely overhaul Seikel kept me fascinated even although the race for overall P1 was long since done and dusted. Equally at Donington sitting under the Spitfire and watching Aston Martin sneak it past Corvette at the death counts as incredibly memorable.

Second, diversity counts. Okay prototypes haven't yet been polluted in the way single seaters have with identikit chassis, but a good mix of the exotic, the familiar, the wierd, and the wonderful is what gives sportscar racing its richness.

Third, impartial observers like watching cars they recognise. More Ferraris, Aston Martins, Porsches, and TVRs will keep this valuable constituency happy.

And finally, echoing JAG, in one word - 1992. Eurosport's commentary that year, desperately hyping it on the warm up lap claiming it was a small field "but a quality one" teetered on the brink of having me chuck a shoe at the television.