View Single Post
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1750889)   #174
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, that started a nice little debate, I tend to agree that the diverse field is good and allows more teams to sample the great race. Driver qualifications sometimes leave a little to be desired but again 'twas ever thus I suspect.

Nobody answered my question on entry fees, do they all pay the same? I believe it is 30.000 Euro with a 5k non returnable deposit with entry, balance when you get a slot, is that correct? Fuel is supplied by the organisers, is that paid for in the entry fee or an added extra?

My point is that GT entreis are vital to the continued success of the great race and so deserve the same attention from all comentators and the press and MC makes a great point on dsc about the way GT entries are treated by the "Worlds Leading Motorsport Magazine" and others. It is correct to say 4 races in one and the mix adds considerably to the skill required to survive and the spectator interest but why should sponsors and drivers pay the same money for no recognition of their efforts? Quite correct that the public identify with cars they can recognise but do we really need GT1 and 2? Would it not be great to see what unrestricted GT2 cars could do against the AM and GM cars?

There again, if a certain configuration in an otherwise equal spec gives a team an advantage in reducing the pit stops why should we penalise them? The concern today is on carbon emissions and motor racing must be seen to be part of that battle or we will find it being the subject of negative legislation. Heaven forbid that we have an economy run but perhaps we should think of something along these lines, a diesel 997 RSR perhaps?