View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2890625)   #43
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While these are indeed good news, I'm also a bit confused. So let me get this straight:

- The current ILMC is transformed into a full World Championship, sanctioned by the FIA.
- There will be a championship for overall winners (That means LMP1) and one GT World Cup for GT1/GTE/2/GT3 within the new WEC.
- But the Ratel series will stay alive, and they will try to bring GT1s, GTEs and GT3s under one hat. But more importantly, Ratel suddenly seems to have become a lapdog of the ACO and FIA (Especially the former). We'll see how long he can take it.
- What will happen to the GT3 European Championship and the Blancpain Endurance Series? These series seem to be suddenly obsolete.
- The new WEC will have six races. Aside from Sebring and Le Mans, I think they'll stay in Spa, Silverstone and China (As manufacturers will insist that they will race there). Petit Le Mans will probably be dropped, as it didn't seem to be popular with team from abroad for a couple of years (And I talk about teams like Felbermayr, who skipped Road Atlanta to travel outright to Zhuhai last year)

I have two concerns:
1. For god's sake, hopefully the Big 'E will stay out of the WEC's business this time. F1 will always stay the #1 in motorsport, so there is nothing to worry about.
2. But an even greater concern is that the ACO and SRO might go into another war. Hopefully Ratel will stay happy that he'll have many manufacturers joining the series (In theory), and not try to interfere into the ACO's business.