View Single Post
Old 27 Jan 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2114542)   #24
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DB4 GT Superleggara was a car I worked on quite a bit in the late 1960s.

I have never forgiven my wife's late uncle who lived on Long Island NYS for failing to leave me his Carmen Red/white hide/white Wilton Short Chassis DB4GT, which had all the right bits; Borranni 60 spoke comp chrome wheels with triple eared knock offs; triple Webers; ZF LimSLip Axle, etc.

He bought it many years ago when it was almost new from a lawyer in California, who had advertised it as an Aston Healey. It had been bought by an up and coming starlet for her image: she apparently drove it around the block twice and scared herself to death!

Unc thinking this was a typo and should have been Austin Healey jumped on an internal flight and finished up buying the Aston, rather than an Austin Healey (!!!) and drove it back to Long Island.

It lived in his basement garage under a dust cover as he was paranoid that it might be scratched! Had less than 10K miles on the clock when he passed on to the car park in the sky a few years ago.

It was one of these that Moss used to win the TT at Goodwood and afterwards he recounted that it was so comfortable to drive, he spent his time out front, listening to the radio!

Apart from that, I'd really the love the protoype Lola Aston Martin V8 that Nick Cussons used to try and drive me off the track in the 1972 6 hour relay at Thruxton in streaming wet! I was driving one of our Midgets and was out on the circuit as the heavy rain started - on slicks......................

Cussons, who'd gone off in practice (in the dry!) wiping all the coolant pipes off underneath in a spinning steaming cloud of greengrocery and water vapour, decided to try and emulate Rhindt just before the chicane. (Rhindt had gone straight on and right through an ad hoarding in an FII Lotus! As he would). Somehow Cussons managed to turn right!

What a fantastic sound that experimental V8 made on open pipes!

Forerunner, of course, to the DBSV8: I drove one for a couple of weeks in 1973. OK but not as a nice a car as the DB4GT.