View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2001, 15:58 (Ref:62873)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say it does not bode well for racing prototyes in the GARRC. As far the Corvette's being underdogs, I don't think they were. Last year showed that the Team ORECA Vipers and Team Corvette were the two best funded and fastest teams at the circuit. Maybe they could not turn the lap times of the prototypes, but the went farther and that is the name of the game.

The problem comes from the fact that France wants to broaden the horizons of his NASCAR fans and many are not willing to watch anything other than stock car racing. How may Rusty Wallace fans know who Allan McNish, Andy Wallace, Elliot Forbes-Robinson, and Geoff Brabham are? I am afraid not many.

Maybe the GARRC needs to switch to pure GTS racing and drop the prototype class altogether. It seems to be the direction the series is going. A GTS car qualified fourth on the grid for a track as fast as Daytona. It does not say much for the speed of the teams present in the prototype classes.