View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1685955)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champ Car's direction

I want this to be a positive Champ Car thread. We all know when 2004 arrived; the series had lost the momentum, prestige, literally everything.
We all know OWRS isn't even a patch on the CART days. The CART and pre split days I think both CCWS and IRL fans can I agree on, we all have one thing in common and that is we all loved those days.
Now sure many people including I don't like OWRS' new direction. And that is, probably no ovals and mainly a street based series. I love watching oval racing, and the oval racing back in the CART days was some of the best I have and probably will ever see. But I remember KK saying NASCAR are good at doing ovals and we shall leave it to them. As much as we and most fans loved the Indy, Pocono, Michigan races, and the other classic ovals, unfortunately we have to accept them days are gone.
Sure most of our top teams left over the years and jumped ship for the money but Champ Car up until this year has been able to attract new teams and drivers. Thankfully with all the media buzz etc of the Panoz DP 01, Champ Car now has a future that they know is stable. Look at the teams and drivers from over the world who are attracted to Champ Car for 2007 and the future. We all know Champ Car isn't as popular as it was, that's pretty obvious. The interest in America is a rock bottom but we must look at the positives. Sure a lot of people are fed up of the street races. I am one of them. But this is part of the new direction. The street festivals are actually very good events. The atmosphere, excitement, attendance, race action is something you don't usually find on road tracks or ovals. A street event is going to attract a lot of interest in a city, and that's a good thing. Look at Long Beach, Toronto, and Surfers Paradise. Very established events. Then you look at Denver, Houston, and San Jose. They all have the ingredients.
Then you look at the airport races. They are successful.
What I am saying is this.
Everyone should look at Champ Car whether you like it or not at the positives. As I said before, unfortunately we won't have the CART days, but the series is in good hands. There has been some big improvement over the years since 2004 when they look over. They did say 2007 would be the year when you start to notice the change.
Its time to watch Champ Car again and enjoy it. We have people in Champ Car that want to be in there. 2007 looks to be a very bright year. Let’s look at it closely and see what happens! I like watching Champ Car simply because it’s Champ Car. Sure the classic ovals and road circuits have gone. But hey we still have Road America. That circuit is worth three on its own. And it’s ours! Road America is how you show case Champ Car, and it’s only a month away!