View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2020, 15:11 (Ref:3994546)   #148
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
it would have been very interesting to see how Perez got on trying to stretch his tires in either of these British GPs. for the past several years these sorts of alternative strategies has been FI's/RP's bread and butter.

even if we put SV's ever growing lists of own goals aside and say he finds his racecraft again in a new team without pressure etc etc...even at his best SV feels like the wrong driver, wrong style for this team.

i have to admit though, that makes me want to see him in this team that much more. people confounding expectation almost seems like exactly what FI/RP are meant to be there for.

it is just such a shame this chance has to come at the expense of Perez.
I don't think SV ever had much 'race craft' in the traditional sense of the word - he's not an out and out racer like Hamilton or Verstappen or even Ricciardo. He was a great driver for a certain type of car/engine combo that he absolutely mastered and made best use of and has traded on that since. He was good in the wet - great first GP win in the TR.

For whatever reason, as soon as he gets other cars round him, he seems to get the red mist or lacks the last mm of judgement.

Every driver's career comes to an end, Damon Hill went on a year too long IMO.

Perhaps sometimes drivers coming to the end convince themselves that in a better car/team they will suddenly recapture their old form.