View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3165844)   #2443
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Is this list now absolutely set in stone or is there scope for a common sense revision to it?

So - let's enter realm of fantasy - and say Fernando Alonso decides he's had enough of all this Formula 1 lark and would quite like to run in a Norma at Le Mans - is this going to be a non-starter due to him not being on the list?
I think there's plenty of scope for it to get revised in terms of new drivers on a race-by-race basis. I remember Liuzzi cropping up on there sometime in the run-up to Le Mans and that being a dead giveaway he was looking at sportscars.

As for revisions to the decisions - I'm not sure. It would appear that Ricardo Gonzalez is going to appeal his promotion to Gold as it impacts quite severely on his opportunities. Maybe others will do the same but I certainly feel like there needs to be something done.

One idea I have is similar to what we have in cycling where, when a young rider moves up into the pro ranks they are deemed a 'neo-pro' for two years. They have to be taken in on a two-year contract to provide a bit of security early in their careers.

What I would propose for the classifications is have a guaranteed two-year freeze on young drivers coming through. Don't have a young driver like Alex Brundle try to make his name one year and then penalise him the next due to some decent results and flashes of pace.

After two years then revisit things. Maybe they won't need to move up. Maybe they will be promoted up into a bigger team and naturally make the progression that way. A guy like Lucas Ordonez has had the chance to establish himself over two seasons now and would have a fighting chance of a drive even without his backing.