View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2001, 09:50 (Ref:167319)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Fact: The British Grand Prix is the only one on next years calendar with a provisional sign beside it.

Fact: The FIA have repeatedly said that it is not the right of the UK to host a Grand Prix.

What irritates me beyond all reason is the fact that much of the EU's interest in banning tobacco sporsorship is not to protect the likes of us from smoking (although I hate smoking and smokers), it is in fact to ptotect their own tobacco industries from being taken over by other countries such as America.

Formula 1 has a worlwide TV audience of approximately 400 million per race. If the race takes place outside of the EU tobacco advertising is allowed. Those TV pictures are broadcast to ALL 400 million viewers regardless of whether they are EU or non EU so what bloody difference does it make if you ban tobacco advertising within the EU?

The only people who don't get to see the adverts are the poor mugs who pay upwards of £100 to see the race live!

In answer to the comment about Brands Hatch and it's poor facilities. The facilities have been steadily improved over the past 10 years, largely through the efforts of Nicola Foulston who many hated because she ran BHL as a business. There are new pitlane garages, the track has been completely resurfaced, the Foulston Centre was built along with it's media centre, there is a new scrutineering bay and the main paddock has been tarmac'd, and of course we have numerous new trade shops and a huge grandstand at Paddock Hill Bend. I accept the toilet and some other facilities are poor, but they are slowly being addressed by the new owners Octagon. You must remember that during the days when the British GP alternated between Silverstone and Brands hatch, the then management spent little or no money on the facilities, hence the problems of today. Facilities at Silverstone ARE a lot better, but the BRDC has re-invested GP money there for many years and it shows!