View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3983461)   #85
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
it seems to me they had their chances to initiate reform but ultimately on an ownership/organizational level, they chose the other path.
I feel that some industries are a lifestyle and that "logic" rarely gets applied when decisions are made. Examples are teaching (Here in the US teacher are treated poorly. You can make much more money with less effort doing other work. They do the job for the love of it and just deal with the lack of respect and poor pay... my wife is a teacher), software development (I am in that industry and believe me, most treat it as a lifestyle. Thankfully it is a good paying one so that issue is a moot point) and any type of professional motor racing such as F1 which typically lives on the edge of collapse. Like I call out software development as a successful "lifestyle" being a drug addict is a destructive lifestyle. F1 (as a business) seems pretty destructive.

So you will have big teams playing the game of large companies/corporate entities. Creating their presentations and spreadsheets that show a bright and shiny future, but its all just a mess that make little sense other than it is fun to go racing (I do love racing!) The quest to build "flying cars" it another. It's an imminently stupid idea but yet there is always someone tilting at that windmill, but their heart tells them to ignore their brain.

This will sound like I am savaging motorsports, but note, I am really commenting on those who try to make it as a "business". Or maybe more specifically those who try to grow the size way beyond what is sustainable. They tend to do this willfully and ignoring the alarm bells (like I say it's a lifestyle, maybe an addiction)

Richard

PS: I wasn't aware of the Adam Parr book. It sounds interesting, but the physical copy is $86 on Amazon. Is it worth it (I don't care for e-books).