View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2000, 23:36 (Ref:18616)   #3
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Dennis only moans and whines about people who don't like him, or who he doesn't like. The trouble is, a lot of people don't like Ron - Jacques is one of them. There was an interesting story told in this week's Autosport:

Quote:
...goes way back to the days long before he was a star. To 1991, in fact, when he was at Suzuka for the Japanese GP looking for a drive in Formula 3.

That weekend, he met Pollock, his former PE teacher, for the first time in several years, and asked him to become his manager. He also met McLaren boss Ron Dennis.

Pollock remembers: "Jacques was invited by me, as a representative of Suzuka circuit, to the Log Cabin bar. Ayrton Senna had just won the championship and Ron was there celebrating with his wife and Senna. Jacques was sitting in the corner. Ron said: 'You are nothing to do with Formula 1, what are you doing here ? You are not welcome.' Jacques never forgot it."

"Finally, in his first year in F1 ['96], the night Damon won the championship and I shaved David Coulthard, Mika Salo and Jacques' heads, Jacques went straight up to Ron and said: 'I just want to say one thing to you and that is: '**** you. I'm in F1 now and i'm staying here.' Jacques was, in a certain way, both right and wrong to do it. He just had it burning inside him."
Says it all really. There's no love lost between the two of them and, one can only speculate, quite a few others on the grid too...