View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1085134)   #21
abigail
Racer

abigail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wise Bruce, we say that both you and Woolley are of course correct about the right hand side, but notice that as the car slews left towards the bank and the major impact that the left hand side rear is also adrift. Why?

Rewind the tape a little and you will notice that the car clipped the bank on the left a few yards earlier and this was fundamental to the accident, and was the root cause.

Daylight is visible under the left hand front wheel. You will see a puff of dirt. That impact was not visible from the marshals position. The car was then out of Graham's control as the rear broke to the right. The right hand side broke as that wheel struck the bank.

This is about ten feet before the camera and is outside the periphery of the lens, but was under my feet! (Sorry I have now completely dropped out of Abigail mode)

Whilst I have no wish to contradict a fellow enthusiast my explanation is correct.

I intend no criticism of Grahams driving but a slightly more circumspect approach to the Crossing and this would not have occurred. Observe the driving of the fastest at this point and middle of track is where they will be.

Sir Stirling Moss himself has commented that the Crossing is the most formidable corner in the whole world of motor sport there being a totally blind approach between two almost vertical banks and the apex being invisible until a cars length away.

I trust that when you next play the tape you will notice the key events I have pointed out. This accident can be used as a good example of root cause analysis and we have used it in this way before, hence the familiarity. Being there helped!

I will now return to mischeivous Abigail mode!