View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2023, 23:50 (Ref:4143210)   #12
Ralph Colmar
Rookie

Ralph Colmar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better 17 years late to the party than never, I went to school with Sven and his brother Claus who commented in post #2, and also wrote the blog mentioned by Graham in post #6.

Sven indeed did only the one Uniroyal season in 1985, he wrote off one Capri on his debut at Brands Hatch, incorrectly described as John Hammersly in the photo printed in Autosport the following week !

Svens cars were prepared by Ronnie Chongs Project 2 Motosport in Brighton. Sven at the time was I believe living in Chertsy, his wife was running sponsor Rays Toys in Godalming and various other places in the region.

Davyboy in post #4 is correct the car did appear in full colour on the back page of Autosport.

After 1985 Sven had Ronnie prepare an ALFA Romeo 33 for class D of the ALFA Romeo Challenge for the 1987 season he won a couple of races with it one at Brands on the GP circuit. Then at Castle Combe the 33 got written off while parked on the inside at Quarry by an errant Sud. Undetered Ronnie prepared an ancient Sud for Sven to use for the rest of the season and on the championships second visit to Castle Combe, the weekend after that phenomenal storm, Sven won again.

The following season Sven and I invested in an '85 M5 for some reason maybe a roadgoing series but the car was sold on before anywork had started on preparing it.

In 1990 I came into some cash thanks to a flulkey property investment in Brixton and I spent all the proceeds racing a 2CV. The main attraction being the 24 hour race at Mondello Park where Sven joined me and another chap. Sven qualified the car in the top 10 IIRC but his co drivers could not keep his pace and we finished just inside the top 20.

So far as I know that was the end of Svens racing career. I'll try and post some pics if I can find them. Was great to see someone remembered him. They were happy days.

Last edited by Ralph Colmar; 8 Feb 2023 at 23:55.