View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2023, 20:35 (Ref:4168300)   #3063
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Some of the perceived improvements possibly come about because I understand that they now produce the output from a purpose built facility in Biggin Hill near London. This means that they no longer have to lug around 3 container loads of equipment from race to race, especially flying all of that to the far-flung races. Mr E appointed a chap by the name of Baker (I'm afraid I can no longer recall his first name) to direct and produce the broadcast; and the area where they set up at the circuits came to be known as Baker's village.

The other thing that must be said is that, since the latter years of Mr E and the subsequent take over by Liberty, all the equipment available has moved on by leaps and bounds which allows for a far better production. However, as others have said, Mr E didn't really embrace modern technology possibly because of his advancing years, even though he was still able to run the show with the aid of just one other person - not the legions that Liberty require to do virtually the same job.
Further to this, for those not aware,

The live feed from every FOM camera (Track side, on board, hand held and FOM presentation) and microphone (including team radio) is fed back to Biggin.
Tata Communications extended their agreement last year Link

I believe only the Live race world feed is directed from onsite, with the replays, team radio inserts and most graphics being produced by teams at Biggin to be inserted by the on-site director.
The other channels such as the battle channel, and the individual on board camera channels are all produced and directed from Biggin as well.